While we all are aware that the constant usage of smartphones, tablets and other electronic items have an adverse effect on our eyes, we really don’t do much about it. This is because our lifestyle and work simply doesn’t allow us to discard these devices. Now, a research by the University of Toledo is warning people that the constant long time exposure to smartphones and other devices could speed up blindness and other eye diseases by the time you hit 50s. Here are things that you must know and do to prevent this from happening.
1. Blue light from smartphones and other devices is the prime concern.
According to the optical chemistry research at The University of Toledo, blue light transforms vital molecules in the eye’s retina into cell killers.
2. The study proved that the constant exposure to blue light may cause eye diseases or even accelerate blindness by the time a person touches 50 years.
3. Simple measures at a young age might prevent irreversible eye diseases by the time you retire.
4. Opt for high-quality screen protectors with Blue Light filters.
5. If your work involves constant stares at laptop screens then go for regular eye checkups.
6. Always switch on the Blue Light filter on the display settings of the smartphone.
7. Consult a doctor to get a proper eye-drop to help nourish your eyes.
8. Don’t stare at screens in complete darkness.
9. If you wear glasses, then opt for high quality lens with Blue Light and UV filters.
10. Do not shy away from wearing night glasses or glasses with UV/Blue Light filter if required.